Sunday, August 31, 2014

Under the Tuscan Sun

Hello, my friends!

         I apologize for it being so long since my last post, but life has been quite the whirlwind! I completed my first week of classes, yet I am still struggling with snapping myself back into school mode! I am taking an Italian language class (which is MUCH needed), a class on Italian fashion and culture (appropriately named "Italian Fashion and Culture"), a field experience class, and, of course, my studio class! I am very excited begin learning again, but it's hard not to feel restless when you have a beautiful country around you waiting to be explored! This week we had a heavenly four-day weekend, and I find myself feeling like this is the first week of school again after a long break. The pains of studying abroad, right?
        So, what did I do on my four-day weekend, you ask? Aside from hitting up a few nightclubs, eating leftover pasta, and watching cat videos on YouTube, my roommates and I had an AMAZING adventure. We packed our bags with water bottles and threw on our most fashionable hike-able shoes, and headed off to tour the Chianti region of Tuscany for a day full of vineyards and wine tasting. The trip started off on a shaky foot (literally), as I failed to realize that bus rides in Italy are much curvier and hillier than in the States, and did not take anything for motion sickness. Also, trust me when I say that Italians do not slow down when driving around curves (I'm still convinced there are no traffic rules here). That story has a happy ending, though, as I managed to keep it together and eat some pretzels and sit upon our arrival. We also watched some Italian MTV in the resting process.
        Now, if you're wondering if the Tuscan countryside is as beautiful as you see in movies and photographs, it 100% is. I found myself in absolute awe; it is so incredibly breathtaking that I couldn't believe I was actually there. We began our tour in a small medieval village perched on top of one of the hills, made our way down through the vineyards, and then back up. Back up was not as fun as down, and there was lots of sweat involved, but we kept the image of chiseled calf muscles in our minds as motivation. Along the way, we learned about the planting techniques, admired the amazing villas, and sampled grapes fresh off the vine.
        When we finally arrived full circle back at the village (still sweaty), it was time for the traditional Italian meal we were invited to eat at the historic Sassolini Villa, which is over 600 years old. I don't think I have ever been in an estate as beautiful. The dining room was filled with a huge coat of arms, busts, portraits, and a massive fireplace. Apparently, the Sassolini family was involved in an ongoing territorial dispute with the famous Medici family, and had portraits of them hanging in the home to "remind them of their enemies". Sure enough, these portraits were still hanging near the fireplace. 
       We met Lorenzo, the last descendant, and his fiancé (who, we discovered, knows Miuccia Prada), and they showed us wonderful hospitality. Lorenzo explained the different types of wine we sampled and how to drink them, and we were treated to an amazing meal, with what seemed like endless courses. After the delicious meal and glasses of the best wine I've ever tasted, we were allowed to explore the gardens for awhile before we returned home. I wasn't sure if it was rude to take pictures of the inside of the Sassolini villa, so I only managed to snag a few when no one was looking! I took a few more in the gardens, and I hope that they convey the beauty of this home. I also didn't manage to leave without buying a bottle of their wine, which I will be bringing home to my parents! 
        The day ended with us being snapped back out of this fairytale land, and getting on a bus to Florence. We drowned our sorrows in some gelato, and went home to put our sore feet up. To sum it all up, it was a perfect day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment