Monday, December 30, 2013

Easy Cat Eye With Liquid Liner

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE fan of the cat eye. I wear it almost every time I go out! I think it is so elegant and classic, and you can wear it in so many different ways with different shadow combinations! I've had a lot of people ask me how to do it, so I promised I would try my best to post an easy, basic tutorial! Here it goes!


To begin, I should say that the best way to get this down is to practice. Trust me, I most definitely did not do this perfectly the first time I tried, and many times after, as is evident by photos of me in high school. Although it's pretty simple, the trick to making it look really good is getting familiar with your eye shape and keeping a steady hand with your liner, which takes a little getting used to.

1.) Begin by curling your lashes. Nothing is worse than smearing or rubbing off your liner trying to curl your lashes after, especially if you have difficult lashes like mine. Next, really look at your eye shape from to your tear duct to the outer corner and visualize tracing around your top lid, which is essentially what you are going to do.

2.) I usually begin lining almost right in the center of my eye, a little bit past my pupil. Simply begin tracing right along your lid, following the shape of your eye, like you would do with any other liner. When in doubt, keep the line simple and thin; you can always fill it in later. Continue outwards from the center of your eye and stop at or a little before the outer corner.

(3.) - (4.) This is where you create the beginning of your cat eye. Draw a small line angling upwards from the outer corner. For me, closing my eye a little helps. This line will be the bottom of your cat eye. You can draw it as long, short, or angled up as you want it, depending on the look you want. Keep the line very thin; it's a sort of guideline.

5.) This is the part people normally seem to find tricky, but it's really simple if you don't over-think it! It's kind of like connecting the dots. Staring about 1/3 of the way in your eye from the outer corner, gradually connect the first basic outline you did to the line marking the bottom of the cat eye, making a think triangle. Don't fill it in yet!! I usually do this on both eyes first, then check to make sure the wings are symmetrical. It's much easier to rub off or adjust a thin line than globs of liner and risk ruining your concealer or shadow. Once you've checked your wings, go ahead and fill them in!

6.) This is the touch-up step. Starting back at the center of your eye, finish lining towards your tear duct. Try and keep this line thin and gradually tapering, and don't go too overboard in the inner corners, as it will make your eyes look heavier and more closed. I usually stop a little ways before. To finish, go in and do little touch-ups to smooth everything out. This is where practicing comes in, as you'll begin to be able to instantly identify any imperfections.

7.) You're done! This isn't my most amazing cat eye ever, but here's a pretty good example of what you should end up with when you're finished! 

Hope this helps!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment