Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Hello, All!

To start, Happy Holidays to everyone reading! I've been debating doing this for awhile, and made a spur-of-the-moment decision at 1:30am to revive my old blog! It truly is a blast from the past; I had to delete posts from my junior year in high school! How things have changed. As many of you who may know me are already aware, I am currently in my sophomore year as a fashion design student at Kent State University. Now, when I tell that to most people, they have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure a good portion of my graduating class thinks I'm going to school in Kentucky. I've also had a number of people ask me if I was in New York, and while I am flattered and wish that were true, it is not the case. However, my personal favorite is when people hear "Penn State" instead of "Kent State" and get really impressed. Sorry to disappoint, ladies and gentlemen! I figured this blog would be a fun outlet to express my inspirations and the trends I'm obsessing over, as well as inform anyone who cares what I'm up to at school! In addition, I will be heading over to Italy to continue my studies in the fall, and I need a place to write about my European experiences! This first entry will be a sort of background of my current life, so bear with me, guys.

To clear up any confusion, the university I attend is in Ohio, not NYC, and definitely not Kentucky. And while Kent is considerably less cool than Manhattan, the program certainly makes up for it. Kent's school of Fashion Design is currently ranked 3rd in the nation, 13th worldwide, and one of the few member schools in the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA). So, basically, it's some serious business. I can promise that being a design student isn't anything like you probably picture in your mind or see on television. There is much less glamour and many more 48 hour spans with literally no sleep, much more trying not to cry in the studio at 2am when you hate your life, and, if you're lucky, you might even sew through your finger with an industrial machine (yes, that happened). And, as this is one of my greatest pet-peeves, much more intelligence involved. I go to school with some very smart individuals, and while we may not be trying to pass the bar after law school, we definitely aren't just majoring in making pretty arts and crafts. Sophomore design students at Kent have a roughly 50% drop-out rate from the program, as we all quickly come to realize the reality of what we got ourselves into. Despite initially almost peeing myself when professors told me that, I have come to love my major more this year than I could imagine, and I hope to be able to consistently share my passion with everyone! I'm aiming to use this blog as a place to channel everything in my brain, whether it be images, projects I'm working on, or the occasional rant about how stressed I am! And when I'm in Italy, you can bet it will be about anything and everything. Thank you to everyone supporting me, and everyone who just read this cause it's super long.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas!
xoxo Ana (a.k.a. Anastasia if you didn't know that was my full name...surprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment